Monday, July 27, 2009

Swing Set Fun

Quick update on Lance before I get to the title of this post. I thought for sure Lance was on the mend last night. We wanted to take our walk for the evening and he wanted to ride in the stroller. He and Ryan were pestering each other and getting into trouble which was a sure sign he was feeling better. He went to sleep for the night and was fine. This morning we had planned to keep him home from daycare just one more day. While Dad and I were at the doctor JR said he threw up once, just water, and was lying in the bed. When I got home he had only eaten a few crackers and would not get out of my bed. He fell asleep for 3 1/2 hours. I did call the doctor just to be sure we weren’t missing anything. I just didn’t want to wait until Thursday and have them decide he needed to go to the hospital and we are due to leave for the beach on Sat. They did recommend that we take him in for IV fluids. Well We pondered over this. It is not something that I want to put him through if it is not absolutely necessary and not something that I want to ignore if there is dehydration involved. We decided to make him drink 12 oz. of fluid and see how that went. He managed to get it down under much duress. Within an hour he was acting more himself. He actually came outside for a little while and we walked back to check on Nana. He is in bed now and I am hoping that tomorrow will be more normal for him. If he goes down again we will break down and take him in to the hospital, I just hope I can get through it if we have to.

Ok, now onto the title. Lance and Ryan have a very nice play area in our back yard. They have a large climber with 2 slides, a smaller climber with a slide and steering wheel, and a sand box. It is kind of silly that we go out to playgrounds but the one thing that they love so much is swings. We wanted to buy swings only for their area. Well you can hardly do that without them coming with tree houses, slides, and other accessories. We do plan to build a real tree house next summer so all we need are the darn swings. Premade kits are so expensive that we decided to build it ourselves. JR and I went to Lowes together and got the materials, came home last Wednesday and began constructing it. Yes, I helped and sweated my tail off:) My high school geometry instruction came back to me as we were figuring out angles and distances from the post to the support, etc. I was impressed that I remembered the formula for figuring out the value of the hypotenuse using the Pythagorean theorem. A2 + B2= C2. Ha, I knew I had it in there somewhere! Anyway after the structure set and we added the supports we put the swings on today. It has 2 regular swings and we are going to put a tire swing in the middle. The boys are thrilled and it looks way professional!

IMG_3615Adding concrete under the support beams

IMG_3619Ryan decided to play while we were working

IMG_3620You can kind of see his black eye, he is sooooo clumsy

IMG_3622“Don’t take my picture mommy!”

IMG_3627

Ta Da!!!

(The cement bricks in the back will be moved soon!)

IMG_3628 IMG_3629

Side view/ Ryan already swinging incorrectly!

IMG_3632

Lance did come out to try it out for a bit

By the way: I have lost 32 pounds and Dad has lost 30! I am seeing a weight range that I have not seen since JR and I got married. I feel great and have only 18 more pounds to go, dad only has 20. We can do it!

1 comment:

Caleb's mom said...

Hope Lance is feeling better now! The swing set is great.