Monday, October 25, 2010

Happy Birthday JR!

Yesterday was JR’s birthday. We celebrated by going camping for the weekend. Yes…camping. When he said he wanted to go camping I thought, “sure…that will be fun” and I immediately started researching cabins in the Shenandoah Valley near Luray. Well…..everyone on the eastern seaboard must camp in October because there wasn’t one available cabin, I looked for weeks. So at the last minute we decided to camp tent style. When I booked our site it was called a primitive campsite. Now there is nothing primitive about me but I sucked it up for the sake of my husband and children. It really wasn’t that bad, however, next time there WILL be a air mattress in tow. The ground sure isn’t as giving as my tempurpedic at home. The kids had a great time and the facilities were nice. We were very close to the bath house and I was pleased. There was Halloween activities going on so the kids got to trick or treat and see all of the site decorations. We will definitely do it again, surprise surprise:)

Saturday after setting up camp the kids played on the huge jumping pillow and we took a wagon ride. We cooked hot dogs and baked beans on the campfire for dinner and of course had s’mores after trick or treating. We retreated to bed about 9:30pm and woke bright and early at 7am. JR was up well before that!! We had breakfast and then got showered and packed up. It was a good time and one that I think the kids will remember.

I think JR had a good birthday!!

DSC_8034

Check the map again, this can’t be right!!

DSC_8035

DSC_8041

DSC_8042

DSC_8044

Our humble abode complete with covered porch area:)

DSC_8049

DSC_8057

DSC_8056

DSC_8059

The view was great!

DSC_8062

DSC_8066

DSC_8070

DSC_8075

DSC_8082

Trick or treating

Some sites really went all out on their decorations!

DSC_8084

DSC_8093

DSC_8097

Morning campfire and Hot Chocolate

DSC_8098

DSC_8105

Breakfast over the fire!

Sunday morning after we got showered and packed up we headed to Luray Caverns for the day. The caverns were amazing and the kids loved it. Ryan was terrified of walking through there. I think he was afraid the path was going to fall or something. He finally walked by himself in the last 15 minutes of the tour!!

DSC_8107                   

  DSC_8109

DSC_8113

DSC_8114

DSC_8131

DSC_8140

DSC_8157

DSC_8160

This stalagmite looked like fried eggs!

DSC_8163

5 comments:

Nicole said...

Looks like a fun weekend! I still can't believe you slept on the ground, haha....the things we do for our kids huh?!:) Can't wait to do it again with everyone...but in a cabin!

The Marsh's said...

That looks like so much fun!!! I'm proud of you for sucking it up :)

The Vathes Family said...

Wow no air mattress, you go girl! lol I love it up there in the mountains - it's beautiful!!

Liz said...

Good for you for going camping!! Ryan looks so stinkin cute in all his pictures!

Unknown said...

I cant wait to go camping with the boys!! Waiting for them to get out of the baby phase where its more Daddy's gig than mine though! I miss the caverns. I need to make a point to go back there!