Friday, September 17, 2010

Excitement and Sadness

It is amazing how your body can feel two emotions at the same time. I have been struggling with these two emotions for a few weeks and they came to reality today.

I received a much anticipated call yesterday morning from Indian Head Elementary school that there was a space in the pre k program for Ryan. I was overjoyed at the news that Ryan would be able to join Lance at school for a full day of pre k. We did not seek out pre k for academic readiness because Ryan is above average academically for his age but we did feel like he needed exposure to the whole “school” thing before being thrown into kindergarten. Along with our joy and excitement came sudden sadness that today would be his last day in the care of our wonderful daycare provider Nyanda.

Nyanda has cared for Ryan since he was 8 months old and Lance since he was 6 months old. She has been such a blessing to our family! We prayed hard for the right person to care for our children and boy did God deliver!!! Not only has she provided an environment that has been nurturing, safe, and secure; she has loved our boys as if they were her own and is largely responsible for their academic success. Lance was reading before entering kindergarten and Ryan is reading now as well. She has given them such a wonderful start and has helped to instill the same values and beliefs that we share. Our family has been truly blessed and I am happy that Mikayla and future baby M are also in her care. Today was a very tough day and I have cried many tears. It is kind of surreal that 6 years of daycare has come to an end and that Ryan is really growing up and able to go to school. It is comforting though that he will still get to visit on days that school is closed from time to time. Nyanda has made a huge footprint on our lives and she will forever hold a special place in our hearts and the hearts of our family. My parents and grandparents constantly sing her praises and are also thankful to God that we were able to have our children taken care of by such a loving family.

Well…I can’t see out of my teary eyes to type anymore but here is a picture I was able to capture this morning. Nyanda did take a few more throughout the day and when she sends them to me I will post them.

DSC_7670

2 comments:

Nicole said...

aww, this even brought tears to my eyes. At least you can go back and see Mikayla in the Christmas plays, etc so she's not totally out of your lives yet :)

Caleb's mom said...

I had tears too.. every post Im reading tonight is getting to me! maybe its hormones..