Thursday, April 23, 2009

Our Hero

Last night JR and I attended an awards ceremony for the DC fire and EMS department. JR was honored with a medal of valor for a call that his company ran last year. He and his entire crew received the award because the nature of the incident required them to put themselves at great personal risk in order to accomplish the task at hand and rescue the victims that were involved. I was very proud to watch him walk across that stage and be recognized although he just sees it as "doing his job". I have grown up my entire life the daughter of a DC fireman and proud to be. My dad also has received awards throughout his career including the bronze bar. It the highest award given by the fire department. My dad was, and still is, my greatest hero. God has truly blessed me with 2 brave men in my life, and for that I am thankful. I hope that my sons follow in the footsteps of their dad and Pop Pop. Not necessarily that they become fireman but men that are responsible, brave, and willing to sacrifice for others. They have the best role models for sure.

I try not to think to much about what they are actually called to do while at work, I would drive myself crazy with worry and stress. I can only trust that both JR and dad will use the training they have been provided and good personal judgement while at work. I also pray each time JR is away that God will guide and protect him and bring him back home to us the next day. I am proud that my husband has chosen a career that he not only loves, but one that he performs well and with willingness to risk his own life for the lives of others. He is our Hero!


Isn't he handsome?
I do love a man in uniform



No comments: